Thursday, December 10, 2015

Comfort Foods May Cause Dis-Comfort

Why do your joints ache so much during the winter months? From my own experience and lifestyle, it’s my diet. No, I don’t just go into eating donuts and pasta when it starts getting colder, but I crave and find comfort in the foods that cause inflammation in the body. Yeah, sorry to say that almost all comfort foods cause inflammation. Let me clarify what the comfort foods are.

Oh, the holidays. What a wonderful time to eat cookies and fudge! The problem is (according to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition) that those ingredients ending in “ose” (fructose, etc.) trigger the release of inflammatory messengers called cytokines which may cause your chronic arthritis pain to be worse. Be sure to read labels, and when possible make your own sugar free or low sugar fruit treats over the holidays.

Saturated fats are found in cheese, meats, pasta, and many of the other main dish meals served over the holidays. It can be helpful to fill your plate with salads, and vegetables, and avoid the dips. Trans fats are found in Mom’s breakfast treats like donuts, margarines, and frozen breakfast products.

Since you never know what type of oil the hors d'oeuvres and salad dressings are made with, you can eat before you go and pass on the snacks at the party. There are many other hidden items that can be found in festive holiday meals like gluten, preservatives, meats, and the best celebration treat, alcohol!

Here’s the bottom line; If you have chronic inflammation, be careful over the holidays. I like to trade off so I don’t have to suffer. If I want to eat dessert, I skip the bread and butter. These trade offs help me to keep my weight and my arthritis pain
under control.

Have a wonderful and pain-free holiday season everybody!
Eat more salad!




No comments:

Blog Archive