Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Sugar Is Not Our Friend

In my lifestyle changes over the past few years I’ve been able to lose 40 pounds in additional to keeping it off … until now. I’m up 3 pounds, and know exactly why. I think that constant monitoring of what I eat every day, and how many calories that I burn has made me acutely aware of what it takes for me to be healthy.

First of all, I use the app called “Lose It.” This app keeps track of how many calories that I eat, and how many that I actually need. When I saw my doctor recently he gave me a calorie count for someone my age and weight and it wasn't close to what I have experienced and calculated for myself.

Here is what I have discovered; I went for an entire year without eating sugar products. This is just treats, not products that contain hidden sugar (checkout Dr. Mark Hymans article about High Fructose Corn Syrup). During that year, I ate no treats or sugar products, but I did eat things like scalloped potatoes with cheese, corn on the cob, and whole grain toast with my own fruit preserves.

I weighed myself each day during this year and found that 1,500 calories a day is exactly what it takes to maintain a lean, healthy lifestyle. If I ate less, I lost. If I ate more, I gained. I ate no processed food, and specifically no processed sugars.

Recently, Al and I have started eating a little carrot cake. It started with a Birthday, and then we started having dessert a few days a week. My weekly calorie intake still stayed within my 1,500 calorie a day range, but my pants started feeling a little tighter … 3 pounds gained. There is no explanation for this besides SUGAR, SUGAR, SUGAR and how my body metabolizes it.

I saw an obese woman on TV the other day (I mean, 500 pounds of obesity). She and her husband both claimed that she ate less than 2,000 calories of food each day and her continuous weight gain was a mystery. Then came the truth. She drinks more than 3 liters of soda drinks a day. SUGAR!

I know that many experts claim that calories-in, calories-out are the bottom line but an expert in my own daily monitor, I’ll tell you that processed sugar is more offensive to your body than pure plant food. I believe that by replacing healthy food calories with sugar calories, your body will respond differently.


We are off of the carrot cake binge now and psyched to be at the onset of fruit season here in Colorado. It is a constant balancing act.!  Being a foodie, I crave, I fall off the wagon, and thank God that I find my way back. I encourage my clients to find a delicious snack to satisfy that munchie urge. 

Try making your own gorp with whatever you want. I like sunflower seeds and raisins. It's sweet and crunchy, and because it requires so much chewing, I put it down before I've eaten too much! 

Best wishes to everybody out there that working on your own personal wellness lifestyle. I support you!

No comments: