Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Field Roast Grain Meat Company

I try to make my family meals from scratch. Back in the meat days, I could make meat as a main dish, and surround it with a variety of other stuff. I’m always looking for that variety and nutritional balance on the plate, but I’ve got a problem serving fake meat to my family. Granted, there are some delicious veggie patty choices available, but they seem like mud laced with veggies.

I walk right by the fake meat aisle at Whole Foods, but something stopped me last Saturday. As you may know, Al and I are Italian and were raised on lots of meats and cheeses so the Italian Sausage looking product stopped me dead in my tracks. Vegan Italian Sausage? Give me a break!

The brand name of the product is Original Field Roast Grain Meat Co. The product is a Grain Meat Sausage made with eggplant, fennel, fresh garlic, and red pepper. OMG! This is no substitute for meat, this is a hearty, meaty, grain sausage that is a nutritional food in itself.

Here’s what I did with some leftover whole grain penne pasta. First, I browned the sausages in olive oil. Then, I added some mushrooms and spinach, then I dumped the leftover penne in and stirred it up until the spinach was just starting to melt. Al and I agreed that it was one of the best dinners that we have had in a long time. Go to www.fieldroast.com for more about this product. I give it a thumbs up and will definitely incorporate it into more of my Italian dishes. They have a variety of artisan vegan groceries.

No comments:

Blog Archive