Friday, August 10, 2012

Why Are You A Vegan?

I like to read as many vegan blogs as I can. There are so many diverse menus, ideas, beliefs, etc. I am mostly vegan for a few reasons. First, my family history has a lot of heart disease. I’ve been in the health and fitness business for over 35 years and have worked with many people. You can SEE what excess animal fats can do to a body. So, my first reason is for personal health. Secondly, I am an animal lover. My horses and my dogs are a part of my family. Watching some of the TV clips about commercial meat farming and the brutal suffering that animals endure has certainly made me not want to support those practices. Third, I know that there is more of an impact on the planet to raise an animal for food than to eat the grains first hand.

What I find interesting in the vegan blogosphere is the diversity of purpose. I found a thread that was an argument between a vegan and a "call myself a vegan" about consuming honey or not. I call myself “mostly” vegan, and I eat honey drizzled over my fruit now and then. I have never seen a clip on TV about violence to bees, but just like calves are separated from their mother’s milk so that we can have it, honey is farmed in a similar fashion. I never looked at eating honey as an infringement on nature. Now that I see that fact, I’ll consider it for myself.

My point is that there are vegans that are specific proponents of non-violence or “Ahimsa” which  means non-violence (one of the behavioral restraints in the 8 limbs of Raja Yoga.) The "vegan" in the argument was claiming ahimsa for the bees. If you are a proponent of non-violence, you can’t harsh on somebody else for eating honey. It seems as though this type of moral superiority is in itself a form of violence against your fellow honey consumer.

Come on dude, let’s get along. Let’s eat the freshest, most nutritious plant based diet that we can possibly find. Let’s share our recipes and ideas. Let’s create a non-violent world. Let’s hold hands and sing Kumbaya for goodness sake. Our world and all of the creatures in it could use a little positive support today. It doesn’t matter what we call ourselves, as long as we ascribe to non-violence.

No comments:

Blog Archive