Friday, August 24, 2012

Hang Your Herbs And Veggies For Later

By now, the garden is starting to get colder at night and leaves are browning, some are going to seed, and there's a lot to keep up with. It's important to me not to let one ounce of my clean and perfect food go to waste. The thing is, if you attend to it, it could end up being the best ingredient in your soups and stews this winter. Last week I pulled a few spinach plants up that were almost completely done! They were two feet tall, some going to seed, just ragged! I hung them upside down in the garage where the dried seeds will wait to be planted next year. A few days later I crumbled the leaves into a vinegar and oil salad dressing. Wow. It was powdery, green, and nutritious. Let alone the flavor that it added to the fresh salad! As the garden slows down, I'll dry peas, beans, and all of my herbs for a winter of nutrition and flavor.

If you don't have your own garden, at this time of year fresh herbs are pretty cheap. You can hang them in the garage and dry a years worth! The grocery store charges 8 to 9 bucks for a small container of dried herbs. Besides, it's fun to play with really healthy food!

No comments:

Blog Archive