Thursday, February 11, 2010

Get An Editor

Good writing is good editing. There's no doubt about it. When I'm writing an angry letter, my first draft is just plain silly. And another thing! ... I keep adding junk that doesn't belong, and you should see how many exclamation points there are.

Yesterday, I wrote a two page letter. I kept making my point in so many places that it got old and lost its power. In this case, less is definitely more. It seems as though if you want someone to think that you have cause to sue them that you should leave them wondering. Don't you get more nervous when you're wondering what someone else is thinking rather than have them whine about it while beating the subject to death?

I finished the two page letter today. It's one page now. Pow! Wham! Fewer words, no exclamation points. Take that! Don't you wonder what it was about, and who it was to? Get an editor. That's all I have to say.

No comments:

Blog Archive