Thursday, January 14, 2010

God bless the people of Haiti

My power went out today. I'll admit that I was inconvenienced. It was right in mid-morning when coffee, curling iron, heat, and television are all participants in the morning ritual. Boom. Just like that. No power. Although I believe that I make a very conscious effort to "conserve," when the power came back on and I saw my Tivo'd version of the Today show's Haiti earthquake coverage, I was humbled to my knees. Schooled on just how much that I have that I don't need.

Yeah, we had a pretty tough 2009. We had a bout of unemployment, along with the uneasiness of wondering about this economy, but we didn't lose our home, OR go without food and water. I was complaining to a friend the other day how I'm sick and tired of being optimistic. Okay, Okay. I take it all back. I am blessed. SOOOOO blessed.

I'm proud to see so many people already mobilizing efforts in schools and churches all over my neighborhood. The job is huge, but the world is coming together with efforts for every phase of this disaster. The Red Cross needs money and volunteers. http://www.redcross.org/ You can sign up to volunteer or donate on their website.

The power is back on now, and I realize just how lucky I am! And grateful too.

No comments:

Blog Archive