Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Staying Positive

The economy is getting better for some, but for others the job market is still waning, and communities are still hungry. I know that my own health care coverage has doubled in price, my husband has taken a cut in pay, and my business has dropped off considerably.

If you have to wake up in the morning and face new days, one after the other, you've got to look to the future. You've GOT to think positively. Why not assume that it will be brighter than it is? Historically, recessions heal. When this one passes, just think of how much wiser and more frugal that you'll be! Here are a few of the things that I'm doing, that I will continue to do, even after things get better;

If you're reading this, you have access to a computer. Signing up on EBay is simple. If you have an email address, go to www.ebay.com and sign up! Things that are popular on EBay are jeans, t shirts with cool writing on them, kitchen items, collectibles, end other household items. You can even type in "most popular sale items on EBay" and they'll tell you what's hot today. I had so many books on health and fitness that I collected over a career spanning 30 years, I opened an EBay Bookstore. Checkout www.cliffviewbooks.com

Another GREAT idea that has been helping is that I've become a "Mystery Shopper." Another thing that is done completely online. You sign up for a company that has been hired by your local grocery store chain, and virtually spy on different aspects of the store. You buy something from the deli while having contact with the deli employee, you place something in the bottom of the cart to test if they will catch it (of course, you bring it to their attention if they don't), and at the end, you fill out the evaluation form and file for a reimbursement of what you've bought. So, you get a free lunch from the deli, and I always need dog food or a bag of treats for the bottom of the cart test. The Mystery Shopper assignment times are generally evenings or weekends, so even if you have another job, you can shop during your off time and get reimbursed for your groceries.

I've eliminated my land telephone line and use only a cell phone now. I have wireless internet, so instead of faxing, I send scanned attachments. Almost every printer includes a scanning option these days. That alone has saved over $100.00 a month.

Lastly, my organic garden is looking wonderful! It's not big, but it's an area of the yard full of pots and potting soil filled with tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, beans, peppers, squash, cukes, and carrots. If nothing else, we won't go hungry. I'll save my visits to the deli for that one greasy treat every week.

Hang in there. Just think of how educated you'll be when money starts flowing again. It will. I've seen this before!

No comments: